Cranberry Prickly Pear Relish
Recipe By Barb Fenzel
Hazelnuts, also called filberts, add a delicious crunch to this relish. To toast them, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven and wrap them in a clean kitchen towel. Roll the towel back and forth until most the skins have loosened; use immediately or store in the freezer.
Makes about 4 cups
- 4 prickly pear tunas, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups cranberries, coarsely chopped in a food processor
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- Purée the peeled prickly pear tunas in a blender or food processor; strain and set aside.
- Put orange juice and sugar in a small heavy saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in cranberries and prickly pear puree; allow to cool to room temperature.
- Put cooled cranberry mixture in a non-reactive bowl. Stir in hazelnuts and orange zest.