This spring, try a favorite dish from Gertrude’s Restaurant that will have everyone begging for seconds! The bread pudding french toast recipe from Gertrude’s is sweet, delicious and a great option for brunch at home.
- Three to four cups of cubed white, Italian, or Hawaiian bread – allow to dry for a day
- 1 Teaspoon unsalted butter
- ½ Cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 2 Large eggs
- ½ Cup light brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- ¼ Cup dried fruit (we like cherries and cranberries)
- ½ Cup white chocolate chips
- Confectioner’s sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare loaf pan with butter or baking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients except bread, dried fruit, and white chocolate chips until smooth.
- Add in bread cubes, fruit, and white chocolate chips.
- Stir until all bread is soaked and allow to soak for 13 minutes.
- Pour into loaf pan and cover.
- Bake for 1.5 hours. Then uncover and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes until cooked through and top it firm.
- Turn out on cooling rack.
- Once cooled, slice and place directly on griddle that has been sprayed with cooking spray (no need to dip in egg wash).
Optional bourbon glaze: Add your favorite seeds like pumpkin, sunflower or hemp seed to bump up the protein in the recipe!
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- ¼ Cup whole milk
- ¼ Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 Cup bourbon
- Pinch salt 1 tablespoon melted butter
Whisk together until creamy, drizzle over finished toast.
Recipe courtesy of Gertrude’s Restaurant.