The weather is getting colder, the holidays are approaching and you’re probably looking for your next fall recipe. Try your hand at this rich and hearty soup that is a favorite from Gertrude’s Restaurant. This recipe for green chili corn chowder will enlighten the senses.
- 5 lbs. of corn kernels, frozen
- 1 qt. of whole milk
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 10 – 12 pieces of bacon, thick cut, cooked, chopped
- 1.5 Pints green chilis, canned
- 8 oz. yellow onion, diced
- 2 oz. vegetable bouillon (or 2 cubes)
- 2 tablespoons of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of coriander, ground
- 1 tablespoon of cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon of oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper, ground
Sauté bacon until rendered/cooked. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add in spices and toast for 30 seconds. Add in milk and cream and half each of corn and green chilis. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, blend. Return to heat, adding vegetable bouillon and remaining corn and chilis. Simmer for 15 minutes, salt and pepper to taste. Thicken with corn starch slurry if needed.
Yield: 7 quarts.
Recipe courtesy of Gertrude’s Restaurant.