To apply for an open position, please e-mail resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to: 480 481.8173, or mail to:
Desert Botanical Garden
1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008
Volunteer Services Coordinator
Full-time, Sunday-Thursday; some Saturdays and evenings, as necessary. posted: 4/12/13
This position serves as a key member of the Volunteer Services team, providing administrative, operational and planning support while working with the Program Director to coordinate training, continuing education, recognition and retention for the Garden’s 900+ volunteers.
Responsibilities, as member of the Volunteer Services Team:
- Nurture the spirit, enthusiasm and talents of the volunteers on a daily basis
- Participate in joint and strategic planning for schedules, work and events with other members of the Team
- Coordinate use of technical office systems, including AV equipment, volunteer management software, and volunteer calendar
- Fully participate in the daily activities of the Garden. Attend Garden staff meetings, team meetings, and events. Support the Volunteer Program Director and Director of Education in meeting the goals set forth in the Garden’s strategic plan, particularly as they relate to growth in demographic diversity and the overall revenue goals of educational programming.
- Perform other duties as necessary and assigned, to support the Volunteer Service mission of recruiting, placing, training, managing and retaining successful, motivated, committed volunteers.
In conjunction with Program Director:
- Coordinate Training and Continuing Education for volunteers, working with staff and volunteers to design, plan, implement, and present programs, and to measure effectiveness
- Coordinate processes for retention of volunteers, including collection and assessment of appropriate statistics, and planning/implementing recognition events
- Act as Sunday staff liaison for ongoing volunteer programs, providing leadership and assistance as needed
- Supervise volunteer office helper(s), planning work and providing materials as needed
Essential qualifications include a Bachelor level degree; experience working in an office environment; enjoyment of work with intelligent, committed retirement-aged men and women; optimistic, “can do” customer service-oriented approach; demonstrated ability to juggle multiple demands and interruptions on a daily basis; initiative to complete projects from start to finish within guidelines with minimal supervision; demonstrated ability to develop and implement long and short-range plans; working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; experience training groups of people in a focused manner for specific tasks; demonstrated experience in preparing presentations and public speaking; high level of professionalism and discretion; ability to work collegially and diplomatically within a team; demonstrated ability to be creative and flexible in program development; and excellent speaking and writing skills.
Preferred qualifications include a working knowledge of volunteer management software; experience in corporate or non-profit leadership development/training; basic knowledge of plant science; experience collecting and assessing demographic data; and experience working with diverse groups of volunteers.
Facilities Maintenance Technician
full-time. posted: 10/29/12
The Facilities Maintenance Technician assists with keeping the Garden in top operational condition and appearance. The Technician is responsible for the overall care, cleanliness and maintenance of the facilities, equipment and public areas (excluding plant beds) of the Desert Botanical Garden.
Primary responsibilities include: General Maintenance: Keep up the Garden’s buildings, roads, parking lots, paths, fences, and gates and insure that all equipment is in good operating condition. Service the Garden’s electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems and follow the schedule of planned maintenance activities. Safety: Ensure that safe conditions exist in the Garden at all times by monitoring the condition of public paths, patios, buildings, and equipment and review work safety practices regularly. Projects: Execute work orders, perform construction duties with limited supervision, and work with outside contractors, vendors, and exhibits or horticulture staff. Perform maintenance tasks, including painting, for the Garden’s buildings and structures.
Position requirements include a valid driver’s license and ability to operate a motor vehicle; ability to lift up to 90 pounds; some trades experience or equivalent; good communication skills; the ability to manage time to complete tasks by time required; and exemplary customer service skills. May be required to work evenings and weekends, as necessary.
The benefits of regular employment at the Desert Botanical Garden include a competitive benefits package*, complimentary family membership, employee admissions exchange, wellness initiatives and discounts.
Reasonable accommodation may be made, where necessary, to allow a qualified individual to perform essential job functions. Honored as one of the 2012 Best Places to Work by the Phoenix Business Journal, the Desert Botanical Garden is an equal-opportunity employer.
*subject to eligibility requirements
16-20 hours/week, unpaid. Summer internship available. The Desert Botanical Garden is a major cultural institution in the Phoenix metropolitan area with a multi-faceted mission: conservation, education, research and exhibition of desert plants. It welcomes 315,000 visitors annually – roughly 50% local and 50% tourists. The Marketing Department is responsible for the Garden’s message in the community and its primary task is to increase admissions, sell tickets for events and communicate with Garden membership. The Marketing Intern works with the Marketing Department to assist with achieving its vision and goals. While this position has specific assigned duties, it will also allow the intern to participate in the planning and execution of the Garden’s marketing strategy to ensure a well-rounded experience.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in planning meetings for Garden events, exhibits and activities.
- Participate in the marketing department’s strategy planning and execution.
- Working with the print and advertising manger, to submit insertion orders for advertising and maintain the department’s advertising books, matching insertion orders to actual ads.
- Working with the digital content manager, to assist with updates to the Garden’s Website and participate in the Garden’s social media activities on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Yelp.
- Assist with media relations including updating the online media center at dbg.org, composing and issuing press releases and fulfilling image requests. Monitor and organize media clippings.
- Assist with organizing and maintaining the Garden’s photo database.
- Edit and write on-hold messaging scripts.
- Fulfill requests for Garden collateral.
- Other duties as assigned.
This internship should be considered by an active or recently graduated student who is looking to learn in a dynamic marketing environment. This person should be interested in marketing, media relations, journalism or advertising and have the ability to write and edit. Communications students preferred but not mandatory. Can be taken for school credit.
Please send cover letter and resume to marketing[at].org.